OIPC Privacy Training
You are invited to register for privacy workshops that the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC) is hosting on the following dates:
- Edmonton: Thursday, April 25, 2019 – University of Alberta’s Enterprise Square, 10230 Jasper Ave., Room 2-670. (Click here for parking and transit details.)
- Calgary: Wednesday, April 17 – McDougall Centre, 455 6 Street SW, Pekisko Room. (Click here for parking and transit details.)
The workshops are free to attend.
For Edmonton, register here. You must indicate whether you intend to participate in both workshops, or only the morning or afternoon session.
For Calgary, register here. You must indicate whether you intend to participate in both workshops, or only the morning or afternoon session.
You should receive an autoreply email upon registering. A final confirmation email will be sent approximately a week prior to the workshop date.
- 9:00 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.: Privacy Impact Assessment Training
- Lunch on your own
- 1:15 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.: Privacy Breach Response and Reporting
Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) Training Workshop
This training session assists stakeholders in reviewing the impact that a new project may have on individual privacy, and covers the essentials of a PIA.
The following document is either used or referred to throughout the workshop. You may print a copy or download and save for viewing on your mobile device during the workshop:
- Privacy Impact Assessment Requirements
PIAs are mandatory under Alberta’s Health Information Act (HIA) for any administrative practice or information system relating to the handling of identifying health information.
Privacy Breach Response and Reporting Workshop
It’s not a matter of if you will have a privacy breach, it’s when. Organizational preparedness is the key to successful privacy breach response. This workshop provides comments on trends in the type and magnitude of breaches reported to the OIPC. The session gives participants practical guidance from a regulator’s perspective, based on successful - and unsuccessful - strategies organizations have used to respond to breaches. Discussion will include the following:
- Developing a privacy breach response plan
- - Establishing your breach response team
- - Successful strategies in remediating privacy breaches
- - Issues around identifying affected individuals and notification challenges
Note: We have limited the registration for these workshops to health sector professional associations and colleges. Details are not available on the OIPC’s website.